Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Don't Stop!

DON’T STOP!

“Don’t grow weary in well doing, for we will reap if we do not faint.” (Gal. 6:9)

As a distance runner, I have often been asked by non-runners how I can possibly run for such long distances. I cannot count the number of times someone has asked how I could possibly run 26 miles. I understand because I used to wonder the same. I have a friend who was in the habit of running 10 miles every Sunday morning before church, and I was in disbelief that anyone could run that far and live to tell about it!

So, after I tell them it is actually 26.2, I simply say, “Just don’t stop!” I know it sounds too simplistic, but it really is the key. You just have to find the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other. You definitely do get tired, but if you can just keep going, you’ll never stop! The mind will try to convince you that you cannot go on and that you must stop, but if you can ignore that voice long enough, you’ll soon finish. And if you do stop, you’re not sure if you’re going to get started again. Perhaps you have seen runners jogging in place at a red light. They aren’t exercising; they’re just afraid to stop!

The same principle is true of so many other areas of life. If you’re doing the right thing, don’t stop! But, just like on a long run, the temptation to stop can often be so strong. This is precisely why Paul wrote, “Don’t grow weary in well doing, for we will reap if we do not faint.” (Gal. 6:9) If is possible to get tired, even when, and maybe especially when, we are doing the right thing. But don’t stop!

Maybe you’re tired of doing the right thing…but don’t stop!

Maybe you’re tired in your marriage…but don’t stop!

Maybe you’re tired of being nice… but don’t stop!

Maybe you’re tired of being tired…but don’t stop!

We do get tired, but when we do, just determine to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Remember, if you don’t stop, you’ll finish!

Gotta run!

No comments: